Awareness on Botox Injection among Dental College Students in Chennai
Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International,
Ever Changing perception of beauty from childhood to old age is changing with the revolution in cosmeceuticals science. Aesthetics are an individual’s perception since time immemorial. Standards of beauty have changed through the centuries with increased awareness about aesthetics. The youthfulness despite advancing age includes smooth, charming skin without skin folds, volume loss, and skin laxity, all these are possible only due to these cosmetic procedures mainly due to Botox treatment. The aim of the study is to assess the awareness of Botox injection among college students. The survey questionnaire consisted of 20 questions and was circulated among the college students. The sample size of the study was 100 and the results were tabulated accordingly. The results show that around 65.7% of the college students are unaware that Botox injection should be used only after the age of 25 whereas the remaining 34.3% of the college students are aware of this fact. Around 45.4% of the college students are unaware of the risks associated with cosmetic procedures whereas the remaining 38% of the population are aware of the problem associated with cosmetic procedures and the remaining 18% of the population comes under other categories. Around 54.8% of the population is aware that using Botox may cause side effects like infection, inflammation, and swelling and the rest of the population that is 45.2% are unaware of these effects. From this study, it is very much evident that college students are not much aware of the age limits and the risks associated with the usage of Botox treatment.
- Botox injection
- botulinum toxin
- online survey
How to Cite
Campanati A, Martina E, Giuliodori K, Consales V, Bobyr I, Offidani A. Botulinum toxin off-label use in dermatology: A Review. Skin Appendage Disord. 2017; 3(1):39–56.
Mya NK, Tat YB, Yeoh BS, Tin W, Aung T, Hayati F. Botox: The deadly beauty. FMAR. 2019;07(01):13–7.
Farolch-Prats L, Nome-Chamorro C. Facial contouring by using dermal fillers and botulinum toxin A: A practical approach. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2019;43(3):793–802.
Pingel J, Nielsen MS, Lauridsen T, Rix K, Bech M, Alkjaer T, et al. Injection of high dose botulinum-toxin A leads to impaired skeletal muscle function and damage of the fibrilar and non-fibrilar structures. Sci Rep. 2017;7(1):14746.
Jung J, Hwang CS. Associations between attitudes toward cosmetic surgery, celebrity worship, and body image among South Korean and US female college students. Fash Text. 2016;3(1):453.
Lewis MB. The interactions between botulinum-toxin-based facial treatments and embodied emotions. Sci Rep. 2018; 8(1):14720.
Yiannakopoulou E. Serious and long-term adverse events associated with the therapeutic and cosmetic use of botulinum toxin. Pharmacology. 2015;95(1-2):65–9.
Hoque A, McAndrew M. Use of botulinum toxin in dentistry. N Y State Dent J. 2009; 75(6):52–5.
Ponnulakshmi R, Shyamaladevi B, Vijayalakshmi P, Selvaraj J. In silico and in vivo analysis to identify the antidiabetic activity of beta sitosterol in adipose tissue of high fat diet and sucrose induced type-2 diabetic experimental rats. Toxicol Mech Methods. 2019;29(4):276–90.
Wu F, Zhu J, Li G, Wang J, Veeraraghavan VP, Krishna Mohan S, et al. Biologically synthesized green gold nanoparticles from induce growth-inhibitory effect on melanoma cells (B16). Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol. 2019;47(1):3297–305.
Ke Y, Al Aboody MS, Alturaiki W, Alsagaby SA, Alfaiz FA, Veeraraghavan VP, et al. Photosynthesized gold nanoparticles from Catharanthus roseus induces caspase-mediated apoptosis in cervical cancer cells (HeLa). Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol. 2019;47(1):1938–46.
Ma Y, Karunakaran T, Veeraraghavan VP, Mohan SK, Li S. Sesame Inhibits Cell Proliferation and Induces Apoptosis through Inhibition of STAT-3 Translocation in Thyroid Cancer Cell Lines (FTC-133). Biotechnol Bioprocess Eng. 2019;24(4): 646–52.
Li Z, Veeraraghavan VP, Mohan SK, Bolla SR, Lakshmanan H, Kumaran S, et al. Apoptotic induction and anti-metastatic activity of eugenol encapsulated chitosan nanopolymer on rat glioma C6 cells via alleviating the MMP signaling pathway. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2020;203:111773.
Chen F, Tang Y, Sun Y, Veeraraghavan VP, Mohan SK, Cui C. 6-shogaol, a active constiuents of ginger prevents UVB radiation mediated inflammation and oxidative stress through modulating NrF2 signaling in human epidermal keratinocytes (HaCaT cells). J Photochem Photobiol B. 2019;197:111518.
Satriyasa BK. Botulinum toxin (Botox) A for reducing the appearance of facial wrinkles: A literature review of clinical use and pharmacological aspect. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2019;12:223–8.
Pavone V, Testa G, Restivo DA, Cannavò L, Condorelli G, Portinaro NM, et al. Botulinum Toxin Treatment for Limb Spasticity in Childhood Cerebral Palsy. Front Pharmacol. 2016;7:29.
Jankovic J. Botulinum toxin in clinical practice. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2004;75(7):951–7.
Durand PD, Couto RA, Isakov R, Yoo DB, Azizzadeh B, Guyuron B, et al. Botulinum Toxin and Muscle Atrophy: A Wanted or Unwanted Effect. Aesthet Surg J. 2016;36(4):482–7.
Al Hamdan EM, Algheryafi AM, Al-Ghareeb FJ, Ashri NY. Knowledge and attitude of dentists towards the use of botulinum toxin and dermal fillers in dentistry, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2013;15(1):46–54.
Thapa DP. Awareness of Cosmetic Dermatology Procedures among Health Workers in a Tertiary Care Hospital. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2019;10(2):139–43.
Abstract View: 473 times
PDF Download: 195 times